Today’s ‘Weenie Wednesday’ feature is a different one, not only are we not going to talk about something that is a major weenie, like the Castle or Sorcerer’s Hat, but we will also be covering two of them at the same time. This weenie is Skull Rock, located in Disneyland and in Disneyland Paris, one Past, one Present. After all the definition of a weenie is “an item that draws in attention and brings guests into the park”, and these two Skull Rocks did (do) just that.
Our first Skull Rock was placed in Disneyland in 1960, and joined the already existing Captain Hook’s Pirate Ship, which was located in Fantasyland since the 1955 opening of the park. This Skull Rock incarnation was a simple walk through piece of landscape, where guests could eat their purchased meals from the Captain Hook’s Pirate Ship. Closing in 1982, as a victim of the New Fantasyland, when the New Fantasyland opened in May 1983, guests found that replacing this area was Dumbo the Flying Elephant.
Today, guests can visit Captain Hook’s Pirate Ship and Skull Rock in Disneyland Paris’s Adventure Isle attraction, located near Pirates of the Caribbean. The area features caves, a suspension bridge, and pirate lookout areas. Imagineers just didn’t take something that was and make it new, they re-did the layout of Skull Rock and made bigger, and actually made it look as if it was a part of the landscape, and not just ‘placed’ there. This play area opened with Disneyland Paris on April 12, 1992, and is still open today.